Monday, July 16, 2012

What's for Dinner?

I don't normally post recipes, but I decided to post two of our newest favorites today.  Several months ago, I found a recipe on Six Sisters Stuff for Black Bean and Corn Salsa Chicken Tacos.  I made it and LOVED it.  And, best of all, my kids LOVED it!  They have always eaten Mexican food really well and always eat beef tacos well, but they ate twice as much as normal the first time I made this recipe...and every time since!  The best part of this recipe is that it makes enough for one meal the night you make it, plus I am able to freeze two freezer bags of it to make on two other nights!  So, in one crock pot, with very little effort, I've made three home cooked meals!  I usually make it with 4 or 5 small chicken breasts, but last week I had Bible Study at my house and made it with 6 large chicken breasts.  It made enough for my family of four, 8 additional women, and THREE bags of freezer leftovers, plus enough leftovers for me to eat two tacos at both lunch AND dinner the next day!  As you can tell, I really like this recipe!

Black Bean and Corn Salsa Chicken
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans corn, drained
1 package taco seasoning
4-5 chicken breasts
1 cup salsa
3/4 cup water

Put beans, corn, taco seasoning, and water in crock pot and mix together until seasoning is dissolved. Place chicken breasts on top and spread salsa on chicken. Cook on high for 4-6 hours. Shred meat and serve however you want (with tacos, over chips, as quesadillas, eat it like chili, etc.). I like to shred the meat about an hour before I serve it and then let it cook another hour.  When I make it with 4 chicken breasts, I can shred the chicken fairly easily in the crock pot, but when I made it with 6, it was easier to take them out and shred them on a cutting board and then dump it back in ad mix it with the other stuff.  Garnish with cheese, sour cream, avocado, lettuce, tomato, or whatever you like.

Make sure you let the food cool before freezing it. On the day that you are ready to eat it, let it thaw and then cook on low in your crock pot for 2-3 hours.  I often halve recipes because we do not eat leftovers much, but with this one, I loved the leftovers and it makes plenty for additional meals.  It would be crazy not to make the whole recipe and freeze what is leftover since it takes just as much effort to make the whole thing as it takes to make half.
 
Enjoy!
 
Another recent favorite meal is from a recent Rachael Ray Magazine.  This recipe is for Pork Sliders and we really like them.  I thought that the Dijon mustard on the pork tenderloin made it so good!  The first time I made them, I had enough for leftovers the next day and they were just as good the next day (and we do not normally like leftovers).  I made half a recipe for my family, but to serve a crowd or to have leftovers, you could make the whole recipe.
 
Photo Finish Pork Sliders
2 pork tenderloins, trimmed (about 2 1/2 lbs total)
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. EVOO
2 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
16 brioche slider rolls, split (I couldn't find these so I used potato rolls from the bakery)
1 head lettuce torn into pieces (optional)
2/3 cup mayonnaise
 
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Put the pork tenderloin on a foil-lined baking sheet.  In a small bowl, combine the mustard, EVOO, salt and pepper.  Brush generously all over the pork.  Cook until the thermometer inserted reaches 155 degrees (I do 160).  Remove from the oven, tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.  Transfer the meat to a cutting boar and thinly slice at an angle.
 
Arrange 2 to 3 slices of pork on the bottom of each roll and top with lettuce (if desired).  Spread mayonnaise on the top of the rolls. 
 
Enjoy!
 


No comments: