Sunday, July 21, 2013

Thankful

I've been reminded this week to be thankful for our health.  But, I've also been reminded of how quickly it can change. 
I've been praying for several friends or acquaintances who have had severely sick children or gave birth prematurely.  One little boy from LaGrange who has battled cancer for a couple of years passed away on Friday.  Two friends (one from high school and one from college) gave birth to their daughters prematurely last weekend.  Another friend's daughter had a bike accident a few weeks ago and spent almost two weeks in the hospital initially with severe internal injuries and then returned for about three more days last week.  Another friend is pregnant with her first child and the little girl has some heart problems.  The infant will have to have surgery within days of being born as well as future surgeries as she grows.
Over the last few weeks I have heard of so many stories like these from friends of mine.  I have prayed and prayed for these situations.  But, it has broken my heart to hear of these things.  I feel so terrible for these children, but also for these parents.  I cannot imagine how scared these parents must be as they care for their children.  I remember how scared I was when my mom went into the hospital last year when we didn't know what was wrong with her.  I can only imagine that a parent would feel even more helpless and scared!
I've been reciting the following verse in my head so much this week to help remind me to give my worries to God and not to allow them to control my thoughts. 
 
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
 
With hearing so many of these things, I could so easily sit and worry constantly about my sweet boys.  But, I try not to constantly worry.  God says to give it all to Him.  If these parents that are going through the valley can show their faith in each step of the way, I need to have faith when I'm not in the valley.
I'm also reminded in this verse to be THANKFUL.  I pray for these friends and their children and am reminded to be thankful for each of the successes, even the small ones.  I also pray for safety and protection and good health for my boys, but I am also reminded to be thankful for their current safety and health.
"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.  His love endures forever."  Psalm 136:1






 


No comments: