Monday, September 16, 2013

Photography Class

On Saturday, I was able to take an all day photography class by Marissa Dodgen.  I loved it!  I have taught myself Manual Mode over the last year using blogs and tutorials on the internet, but I wanted to take a class to be able to actually talk to someone that knows what they are doing with their camera.  The first half of the class was discussion and lessons about manual mode and lighting.  After lunch, we headed to Hammond's Ferry, a beautiful area of North Augusta, SC to do two "sessions".  Marissa had friends come to be our models.  First, we had a family of three:  a mom, dad, and one year old son.  I was most comfortable working with them because I relate well to moms and kids, but I found that I had a much harder time getting good shots because one year olds are always moving (as I know from my own experience with K and C).  Marissa started off the sessions by being the photographer in charge, so she posed them and directed them.  The other student and I were able to shoot beside and around her.  Then, she turned it over to us one at a time to direct them.  I did not get any good family shots, but I'm happy with some of the shots I did get of their son and the mom and dad.  Here are a few of the shots that I took.
 
 
After the family left, we spent some time discussing what went well and what went wrong during the shoot.  Then, the next couple came.  They were a recently married couple and they were much easier to photography because they didn't run off from every pose like toddlers do!  For this session, Marissa took the lead at first, but then she had the other student take twenty minutes posing them and leading them around however she wanted.  During this time, Marissa and I did not take pictures.  She gave me posing ideas, critiques, and advice.  When it was my turn, I had twenty minutes with the couple by myself.  After my time, Marissa took more pictures with us beside or around her.  I was really challenged during my time because I have no experience posing people.  Here are some of my favorites from the couple's session.
 
 
I do not plan to do photography professionally at this point in my life.  I am too busy with our boys and my part-time work with W5.  But, I love photography as a hobby!  And, I love knowing the technical side and working on the creative side.  I am so glad that I was able to take this class.  It was a lot of fun to spend the day with girls that understand all of the photography terms that I've learned over the past year and half and to discuss techniques with them.  I enjoyed getting out of my comfort zone to work with these families.  I would definitely like to do something like this again!  I've had two friends ask me to take some pictures for them in the next month or so and I'm really looking forward to that.  I love taking pictures of my kids, but I really enjoyed taking pictures of others this weekend and I look forward taking my friends' pictures soon!
 
Thank you, Jeremy, for giving me a day to spend on my hobby and for having a guys day with the boys on Saturday!  I love you!
 


1 comment:

Lauren said...

Great job, Kasey! These are great! I"m so glad you were able to take a class. There is nothing better than shooting with someone to learn...love!!