Monday, October 14, 2013

Harper Family Pictures

Edit:  Additional picture at the bottom. 10.15.2013

Our friends, The Harpers, had family coming in town this past weekend, so they asked if I would try to take a picture of the whole family.  Jonathan's brother and his family were going to be in town for a few days, so they wanted to try to get some pictures.  I made it VERY clear that I am not a professional, but that I would do what I could.  Eight adults, 6 children (ages 6, 4, 3, 2, 2, and 7 months).  I got some decent group shots of them, but 6 kids so young are hard to control, so we only tried two locations at Savannah Rapids with the same pose basically both times.  I had some other ideas, but it would require more walking than we figured the kids could handle at the moment.  They were "done" quick!  We did the best we could for a group shot of the kids, but as you'll see, it wasn't ideal.  Jonathan's sister Heather and her family showed up first, so I was able to take some pictures of her family first before everyone got there.  This worked out better than the attempt at the individual family pictures with the others.  The kids were too distracted and wanted to go play with their cousins.  There are definitely some things (a lot of things) I would like to have done different, but it is all a learning process!  Here are a few from the shoot.

Heather and her family:


 

 Whole Family:


Jason's Family:
  
 Jonathan's Family:
 
 

A lot of the pictures of the kids were just shot wherever they were sitting.  They were not really posed as we would have probably desired, so the background is definitely not what I would have wanted in some of the pictures (group photo above, photo of Jason's baby).  

 It was definitely a learning experience!  I am definitely much better at taking pictures of one person than I am at taking pictures of families and groups.  But, I am thankful for the chance to practice on other people.  Lots of learning to do!

Added 10.15.2013:
I have recently started using Lightroom and am still learning all of the tricks.  I took this picture of Heather's boys and loved it except for the ugly sprinkler head and black trashcan in the background.

Today, I found out how to edit out the sprinkler head and black trashcan!  I'm sure someone with more skills than me could do a better job, but I was so excited to figure this out and make this picture a little better.

 

No comments: