Sunday, November 17, 2013

30 Days of Thanksgiving - Day 17

I am thankful for my sixth grade girls Life Group (aka Sunday School class, aka Small Group) that I help teach at church!  Jeremy taught seventh graders and then eighth graders the last couple of years and is now teaching sixth grade boys.  Last year I taught two year olds, Kyle's class specifically.  Actually, I've helped in some way with his class since he was almost a year old.  So, when my friend Micah mentioned me teaching with her, I decided to teach sixth graders this year.  Micah and I have a great group of girls.  They are still so innocent and unexposed to the thrill and harshness of the teenage years.  Even looking at the seventh and eighth grade girls, I can see such a huge difference in who they are now and who they will be in a year or two.  

Since I don't have any pictures of my girls, I will include a couple of pictures of the boys from yesterday.

Most of these girls are still only 11 years old.  None of them were born before September 11, 2001.  They are all products of a post-9/11 world.  WOW!  But, they all have such sweet hearts.  I am excited to see how they will grow and change physically, socially, and spiritually over the next few years.  


Sixth grade is the first year that they are in the Youth Group at our church.  They have never done Summer Camp or Disciple Now or any other type of "mountain top" experience that was so life changing for me as a youth. These experiences, as well as my youth group Sunday School classes and Bible Studies, taught me the meat of the Bible beyond the Bible Stories that I learned as a child.  I learned to worship.  I learned to pray.  For the most part, although they may be Christians, having accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, they have not yet learned to live a life of serving Him.  Honestly, I think we all are always learning to live for Jesus, but our experiences and the experiences that we've had where we've had to trust Jesus have shaped us into the Christian that we are today. 

 
These girls will probably grow more physically, socially, and spiritually in the next few years than any point in their lives before or possibly after.  I'm excited to see who they become.  I am thankful to be a part of their lives during this year.  I am thankful to be able to get to know each of them.


1 Timothy 4:12
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

Family Thanksgiving:
Jeremy - He is thankful for a great church family.
Connor - He is thankful for a fun day and going to church today.
Kyle - He is thankful for playing trucks and pit crew with Daddy today.


No comments: