Saturday, May 7, 2016

Birth Mother Day 2016

"A child born to another woman calls me Mommy.  The magnitude of that tragedy and the depth of that privilege is not lost on me."  - Jody Landers


Adoption has been one of the greatest joys of my life.  I am grateful every single day that God called us to adopt.  We have been fortunate enough to see the beauty of adoption.  But, adoption comes from tragedy and heartbreak.  It comes from tough choices and life-long grieving.   

I think about Paxton's birth mom often.  She gave him LIFE!  Did she know about his cleft before birth and choose to continue the pregnancy anyway?  Or did she give birth not knowing that her son would be born with a cleft?  What were her thoughts when she saw that he had a need that would require multiple surgeries?  Although we do not know anything definite about her, the timing of him being found and the circumstances of his need make it evident to me that she loved him.  There was a short time frame between when he was born and when he was found.  During those days, I imagine her rocking him or trying to feed him with tears streaming down her face not knowing what to do.  I imagine that she holds those memories of the first few days with him in her heart.  She can't see where he is now, but oh, how I wish she could!  


I will always be incredibly thankful for her.  I will always have respect and admiration for her and the choices she had to make.  I wish she could see his smile and hear his laugh and watch him run and play.  I wish that she could know that he is LOVED and treasured and cherished.


I am so incredibly thankful that God chose ME to be Paxton's mommy.  And, I am so thankful that he has a birth mother who chose LIFE for him.  I pray that God will give her peace and assurance that her son is loved and adored.  I also pray that she will know Jesus as her Lord and Savior and that one day, in Heaven, I will be able to hug her and thank her for our beautiful son.

-Birth Mother's Day 2016

No comments: